‘No Smoking’ – Emotional States

I wondered ‘Why do people smoke?’ with little bit of research reading I found some interesting things to relate it body language signals. Smoking has less to do with nicotine addition and more to do with the need of reassurance to overcome inner conflict by giving away outward puff of cigar. In other words, its indication of release of tension that has build up because of social and business encounters from high-society. For example, most of people experience inner tension waiting for the examination results or delicate surgery outcome. In order to cover up the anxiety the common gesture is sneaking out for a smoke, while non-smokers also uses other forms of gestures to indicate the reassurance by gum-chewing, nail-bitting, head-scratching, finger-tapping or foot-tapping, meddle with things. The popular seen among women is to fondle with jewelry indicates the fear, impatience or lack of confidence or insecurity.

Studies now show a clear relationship between whether an infant was breast-fed and its likelihood of becoming a smoker as an adult. It was found that babies who were largely bottle- fed represent the majority of adult smokers and the heaviest smokers, while the longer a baby was breast-fed, the less chance there was that it would become a smoker. It seems that breast-fed babies receive comfort and bonding from the breast that is unattainable from a bottle, the consequence being that the bottle-fed babies, as adults, continue the search for comfort by sucking things. Smokers use their cigarettes for the same reason as the child who sucks his blanket or thumb.

Bottle-fed babies are three times more likely to become smokers than breast-fed babies.

Not only were smokers three times more likely to have been thumb-suckers as children, they have also been shown to be more neurotic than non-smokers and to experience oral fixations such as sucking the arm of their glasses, nail-biting, pen-munching, lip-biting and enough pencil-chewing to embarrass an average beaver. Clearly, many desires, including the urge to suck and feel secure, were satisfied in breast-fed babies but not in bottle-fed babies.

Dependance on sedative effects in commonly seen in addicted smokers, because of the common belief to deal stress – they take longer, deeper puffs and mostly smoke alone. In social smoking, from the time the cigarette is lit until it’s extinguished it’s being smoked for only 20% of the time in shorter, quicker puffs while the other 80% is devoted to a series of special body language gestures and rituals.

Smoking is similar to hitting yourself over the head with a hammer because, when you stop, you feel better.

Even though smoking is now banned in many places and contexts, it’s an advantage to understand the connection between smoking body language signals and a person’s attitude. Smoking gestures play an important part in assessing emotional states as they are usually performed in a predictable ritualistic manner that can give important clues to the smoker’s state of mind or to what they are trying to achieve. The cigarette ritual involves tapping, twisting, flicking, waving and other mini-gestures indicating that the person is experiencing more tension than may be normal.

Reading this article may be injurious to smoker! We look forward for your comments and views. Good Day!


About Loratis Institute

Loratis Institute www.loratis.co.in
This entry was posted in 1 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to ‘No Smoking’ – Emotional States

  1. RAHUL R NAIR says:

    So in short…. Parents also hv role in desiding whthr their child shd bcm a smoker or nt 😛 he he 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s